Monday, September 29, 2008

Take PvE Out of PvP

I've been PvPing for the first time in a long while. My Bane is a blast in zones. One thing interferes with that fun though. Carebears in PvP zones going after so-called "PvE" content. Keep in mind, I'm 90% cearbear myself.

First of tall, there is no PvE content per se in PvP zones. If you're in the zone, you're agreeing to the possibility of other players attacking you. When I'm going after a temp power or trying to get to a mission door in zones, and I get attacked, I never bitch and moan about it like so many do. I either fight if I think I can win, or try to get away if I think I can't. I never disrespect my opponent enough to say, "I'm just badging" or holding still and letting the opponent kill me. This is very disrespectful, violates the agreement you made upon entering the zone (thereby casting doubt upon your integrity), and breaks the paradigm of the zone.

I understand the theory behind PvE rewards in a PvP zone. Get more people in the zone so PvPers have more targets. In theory, it works. In practice, it fails a very high percentage of the time. People try to remove their consent to being attacked by telling opponents they are "just badging" or "not PvPing". The reality is, you can only remove consent to being attacked by leaving the zone. You cannot amend it by being in the zone and trying to remove the consent that is implicit in your presence.

When people try to do so when I attack them, I generally leave them alone. After all, even though I have every right within the rules to attack them all I want, I'm a nice guy at heart, and 90% carebear myself, so even though it frustrates me to no end, I'll leave them be. It would be a pyrrhic victory. [Though I do on rare occaision, just because it angers me so, attack the person until they leave the zone. I have every right to, after all. But it's been a long time since I've done that, and I consider it a personal failiure to do so.]

I'd rather just have the PvE rewards removed from PvE zones (especially badges) so that PvPers like myself can get some actual PvP when we want it, and cearbears can stay in PvE and out of my line of sight. The current system is broken, and definitely not working as intended.

Oh, and we have people on the forums bemoaning the fact their powers will be adjusted for PvP in a PvP zone in Issue 13, because they are just there for the PvE. The PvE. In a PvP zone. Idiots.

2 comments:

  1. Being 90% carebear and 10% badger (Alert Al Gore!) I gotta agree with almost everything you've got here. Honestly, if you need the badge or mish that bad, suck it up. There are "hardcore" PvP players out there and they have every right in the world to whomp on you if you are in their zones.

    However, I can't see "fixing" the problem by eliminating the PvE out of PvP zones. Without some method of inducing carebears and casual PvP players to the zones, you turn them into gigantic arenas for the few "hardcore" PvP players to beat on each other. Additionally, I was introduced to PvP in Bloody Bay the hard way but it's not like I didn't catch the huge warnings and bells and whistles going in. Keep the system as it is and ignore the whiners, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you make some very good points there sofacat, I have to agree with you given your great points.

    I got my start in PvP by joining in the Reculuse's Victory test event (you probably remember that, way back in I7) and was surprised how well I did. That's the day I became 10% PvPer instead of 100% cearbear.

    And it's true, Al Gore think I'm an endangered species. I just told him my Ice Slick was melting, and he patted me on the head and said, "I know!" Nice of him, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete