Thursday, September 4, 2008

Issue 13 Thoughts

Mission Architect. The feature is looking great so far. Looks like they won't have customizable Bosses at launch but will add it in at some point (that's all I ask). What concerns me is the talk of locking up some of the features of Mission Architect, which you then have to unlock via players giving your missions good reviews and by playing other people's custom missions. This has me concerned, but I'm willing to be shown that it isn't crippling to the MA n00b. Also, custom missions give inferior XP/Infamy. With teams so focused on XP, will custom missions be run only by the story-oriented few? If you're not into reading the stories in the game (many gamers aren't) you have no motivation at all to run custom missions. That's too bad.

Cyborg Bonus Pack. This game is trying to have its cake and eat it too on revenue streams. They already have our subscriptions and in-game ads, and they're adding lots of micro-transactions on top of it. It especially irks me that costume pieces are getting locked up behind $10 payments. I suppose I could cancel for a couple of months to fund these packs and stay within my gaming budget, but it's silly that has to even cross my mind. Other micro-trans games have no ads and are free to play. Other sub based games have no ads or micros. The financial direction the game is heading is really making my eyes roll.

Base Architect. Don't know much about this yet, but given the pathetic state bases are in right now, almost anything will be an improvement. For example, tying bases to PvP was a huge mistake as it limits PvE base design. And what percentage of the player base actually base PvPs? Gotta be less than 1%.

Powerset Proliferation. Looks like they didn't schedule any for this issue (though it is a stretch-goal). I want my Dark Illusion/Dark Assault Dom, dang it! ;)

Pain Domination. I got excited at first. "Domination" must be a Dominator set, right? Nope. It's a red flavored Empathy alternative for Corruptors and Masterminds. I have a viscerally negative reaction every time I try to roll Empathy. Maybe being a Pain Domination Mastermind will be more to my liking. Helps even up PvP, too.

Cimerora Missions. It's good to see them. I approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment