Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Freedom Play Style

Oh, hello! I didn't see you standing there!

You know, under the last version of City of Heroes, I took a "Justice League Unlimited" approach to the game. I rolled as many alts as I could burn Patrol XP on in a 10 day span. Each character would get enough play to burn the PXP, then lay fallow for 10 days to recoup the PXP. It was fun for a while, but it was a pretty intense way to play. In the long run, it killed some of the fun. Especially seeing the same content almost constantly as various alts leveled through it. So when City of Heroes Freedom was announced, I knew it was time for a change.

I deleted all my leveling alts to provide myself with a fresh start. Fresh start for the game, fresh start for me, what could be more...refreshing? I've kept all my 50s but I've retired all but two: one Hero and one Villain to serve as representatives of the old guard. Time has passed in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles (about 10 years) so this was a great opportunity to move on to the next generation of Heroes and Villains.

And those new Heroes and Villains will be played as "serial mains". That is, one leveling Hero and one leveling Villain at a time. Nothing new will be rolled until the respective faction's leveling alt reaches 50 (or proves unsatisfactory and is deleted). This approach should keep content fresher as I will be seeing it far less often. I'll try to take different contacts on each level up, as well.

Over the next several days I'll be posting my Freedom roster, discussing each character in turn.

One additional change I'm trying to make is limiting market access (for the purposes of this blog, I'll be referring to the Black Market/Wentworth's as the "market" and the Paragon Market as the "store" or "Paragon Store"). Leveling alts will sell everything to vendors. If I want IOs on them during leveling, I'll use Reward Merits and Alignment Merits to get them (or the Paragon Store depending upon pricing and availability). If I need specific salvage to craft the recipes, I'll run AE arcs (not farms but legit arcs; see the "Excellent AE Arcs" listing on the sidebar under "Sites of Interest" for what I'll be running) to get the Tickets to get the salvage I need.

My 50s are going to have at least some market access. It's just quicker to finish a build that way.

Why limit my access to the market? I don't find it fun and I'm going to stop doing things in the game I don't find fun. Here's hoping the Paragon Store has a full selection of Paragon Store Origin Enhancements (PSOs) at reasonable prices sometime in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment