Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Issue 13: Power and Responsibility Goes Live

Here's my post mortem of the patch notes:

New Midnight Squad and Cimerora Story Arcs
A very welcome addition.  Always glad to get some additional story content.

Merit Reward System
Overall it's a great addition.  I fear there may be some unforseen problems such as the rarest IOs becoming even more rare, and basing rewards on time (people will always find a way to get the time down, thereby rendering the TFs less rewarding, especially for casual players).  My own approach will be to take the random rolls and craft and sell whatever I can't use.  My game hasn't changed at all, but it has become more rewarding with those TF rolls that I never would have gotten otherwise.  Hold on tight, it's going to be a bumpy market!

Day Jobs
Fun!  I wish the rewards lasted more than two hours/20-30 uses, but it's purely extra and the Patrol XP is an altaholic's dream.  Reducing the wait time on badges to 21 days from 30 was good (15 days would have been going too far).  It's a really good feeling that even while you're not playing, you're still accruing rewards.

Shield Defense
I've not tried them since the buff, but on Tankers it's plenty strong and the customization options are out of this world!  BABs and company really outdid themselves with those shields.  I'm rolling a Shield/SS/Pyre Tanker.  The damage of Super Strength plus the damage boost of Shield Defense should make for a much more soloable experience.  We'll see if I get more Shield characters going, but that's the only one I have planned right now.

Pain Domination
This set looks and sounds Villainous!  Very nice to see.  And it's strong...very strong, especially on a Mastermind.  I don't recall them ever nerfing it in closed or open beta, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it nerfed after a couple of months live.  We'll see.  Pain MMs are juggernauts.  I'm rolling Thugs/Pain.  And I'm taking and slotting the Pistols and no one can stop me. :p

Multiple Builds
This feature is gold, pure gold.  You'll have to work extra hard to equip two builds should you choose to use two, but it's worth every Inf because the flexibility it gives you is so very powerful.  Love it!

Patron Powers Unlocked
It's a huge relief to finally get some parity between APPs and PPPs.  The new PPP powers are unbelievable, and you don't have to lose any power that you like.  More options is better than fewer.  I get to keep my Spiderlings.  Yay!

PvP Revamp
Easily the most controversial change in Issue 13.  I really like the changes though.  Let's face it:  PvP 1.0 was broken.  Stupidly broken.  In PvP 2.0 you can bring any Archetype, any set and at least stand a chance.  Diminishing Returns ensures that people can't just buy victory and allows newbies a fighting chance.  Travel suppression enforces engagements and adds risk to buffers and healers.  I love the new system and will PvP much, much more often in it.

Toggles
Defenseive toggles don't turn off when you're mezzed, but only suppress for the duration of the mez then come right back on again.  Love this change!  The game runs so much more smoothly with it, it's unbelievable.  Offensive toggles still drop however (as they should).

Costume Save/Load
This ability has been requested for a long time and now it's a reality.  Such a great feature!  Characters now have unlimited costume options.  Don't like the 5 you've got?  Get to the Tailor and load in some that you do!

Badge Organization
I'm no badger, but even I'm impressed with how much easier to use badges are now with the new interface.  Badgers must be orgasmic over it.

Kheldians Buffed
My jury is still out, but they are better to play now than they were.  I'm going to get a Peacebringer and Warshade up to SO levels before making my final decision on whether I like Khelds or not.  They remain team oriented, the transformations are still clunky as heck, and if you're a tri-former there's an incredibly unfun slot crunch making one of your forms virtually worthless until the very highest levels.  But they do more damage now, and benefit from their Inherent in forms, dual builds allow for human and tri-form builds, the toggles don't drop when mezed and Dwarf acts as a Breakfree.  I'm intrigued.  We'll see.

Check it all out at the official forums.

Now stop reading and go play. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment